One chicken breast? A single hamburger? You can’t feed your family on half of a pork chop, right? Of course you had plans for those leftovers from last night’s dinner. But, you find yourself tossing them…again…with the next garbage day.
It seems either you love leftovers, or you hate them. Personally, I love opening the fridge & finding it stocked with leftovers. Shrimp fajita for breakfast? Yes, please! Most people, though, wouldn’t agree.
Since last time we focused our 23 ways to stop wasting food on fruits and vegetables, today it’s meat and chicken.
Sometimes leftovers just need a creative approach. Then they feel less like last night’s dinner and more like a delicious new meal. Don’t be fooled by singles; they stretch further than you’d believe.
1. Slice thin for chicken wraps. Instead of mayo, add avocado for creaminess. Make the wrap a little heartier with the lettuce, cucumber, and peppers waiting in your vegetable drawer.
2. Quesadillas: Shred remaining chicken with two forks (since this is easier to do when it’s warm, save time and shred it before storing in fridge as leftovers), add black beans, and queso fresco to tortillas. Serve with rice, corn, and shredded lettuce.
3. Chicken Salad: shredded chicken, your favorite mayonnaise (I’m hooked on Just Mayo), and that infamous corn salsa…done! Use to top salads or mini sandwiches
4. BBQ Chicken Sliders: mix shredded chicken with bbq sauce. Heat and serve on slider buns with your favorite sides.
5. Buffalo Chicken Pizza: mix shredded chicken with hot sauce, top fresh or prepared pizza dough (check your local pizza place, sometimes they’ll sell you balls of pizza dough) with a thin layer of blue cheese dressing (believe me, I don’t like it either, but it’s delicious here), layer shredded chicken across the top, then add fresh mozzarella & bake.
6. Chicken Tortilla Soup: This is a great way to use up those vegetables too. Top with crushed tortillas & avocado.
7. Spaghetti Sauce. Crumble cooked burger and add to sauce as it simmers.
8. Tacos: Crumble cooked burger and add to taco shells with shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, salsa, and avocado.
9. Chili: Add crumbled hamburger to your favorite chili recipe instead of buying more meat to cook.
10. Pork Stir Fry: Thinly slice pork chop, add various on-hand vegetables (broccoli, snap peas, peppers, carrots) and stir-fry with garlic and onions. Serve over rice or noodles.
11. Spring Rolls: Thinly slice pork chop, add carrot strips, hoisin sauce, cucumbers and roll in rice paper wrappers.
Deli Meat: tired of sandwiches?
12. Thinly slice ham and add to scrambled eggs
13. Thinly slice ham, turkey, or chicken, add various vegetables (asparagus, spinach, chopped broccoli), and cheese for savory crepes.
14. Thinly slice roast beef, saute with peppers and onions, top with provolone and serve on crusty bread.
15. Create your own smorgasbord. Line up the counter with all of your leftovers, let everyone pile up their own plate!
What about all of the bread that you’re throwing away? That’s the next focus. FTE Daily Green has moved to Chicago Now under the name Conveniently Green! Follow me HERE >> www.chicagonow.com/conveniently-green